Man’s Search for Meaning is one of the all-time great books on life meaning and purpose by Viktor Frankl. First published in 1946, Frankl chronicles his experiences as a prisoner in Nazi concentration camps during World War II.
When faced with unimaginable suffering, there are four differing approaches one could take; 1) to give up and resign oneself to fate 2) turn to religion 3) spiritualize the circumstances 4) find practical purpose and meaning in life, then immersively imagine a positive outcome.
Through the experiences as outlined in the book, Frankl takes the 4th option, to find practical purpose and meaning in life, immersively imagine a positive outcome, then help others do the same.
According to Frankl, meaning can be found through:
- Experiencing reality by interacting authentically with the environment and with others,
- Giving something back to the world through creativity and self-expression, and
- Changing our attitude when faced with a situation or circumstance that we cannot change.
Book Summary Mind Map
Book Summary Video
Resources & References
- A Deep & Detailed Summary by Sloww > https://www.sloww.co/mans-search-for-meaning/
- Man’s Search for Meaning on Amazon.com > https://www.amazon.com/Mans-Search-Meaning-Viktor-Frankl-ebook/dp/B009U9S6FI
- Meaning as a cure for depression and other ills from Psychology Today > https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/mans-search-meaning
- Mind Map by Nicholas Tuck > https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwil8cP3sqPnAhVUXHwKHXkcAxwQFjABegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mindmeister.com%2F1041427108%2Fman-s-search-for-meaning-book-notes&usg=AOvVaw10RJ8Y9YOLiFkdJMrz3sr4
© Goldzone Education, LLC. All rights reserved.